Have you been using your fireplace all summer long to roast marshmallows? The fireplace can continue to be a focal point of outdoor gatherings now that fall has arrived. But the same safety rules apply!
Wait for it to get dark. To be able to see any sparks that leap out of the flames and might cause a fire, it’s best to wait for after nightfall to light your fireplace.
Position it away from fragile materials. The heat generated by the flames can melt your shed’s and even your house’s outdoor siding! The sparks can likewise ignite nearby piles of dead leaves.
Don’t burn waste. It may be tempting to throw leaves, branches, and all manner of plastic garbage into the fire. Nevertheless, this is prohibited in most municipalities and with good reason: the resulting smoke is harmful to the environment and human health (consider your neighbours!).
Don’t employ flammable liquids to ignite your fire. Some people think resorting to accelerants like gasoline is perfectly acceptable. In fact, this is dangerous and, therefore, prohibited in most municipalities.
No matter which type of outdoor device you use, never leave it burning unattended if you want to avoid accidents and fires. You can now take full advantage of fine fall days, whether it be in your backyard or on your balcony!